- They are used to print documents on paper (output).
- The term “hardcopy” is also used to refer to a printout.
- The output may consist of letters, symbols, or graphics.
Different Types of Printer Based on their Working
on the base working printer can be divided into different categories and below are the most common types of printer
Printer can be divided into two types
- Impact Printer
- Non-Impact Printer
What is Impact Printer? and how they work
A printer that produces output on paper by striking a print hammer or set of pins against an inked ribbon is called an impact printer
It works like a typewriter. It uses an electro-mechanical technique to print output on the paper.
- It can print characters and graphics on the paper.
- Slower in printing and produce low-quality output.
- Printing speed of these printers is measured in characters or lines per minute. They also produce more noise during printing.
- However, impact printers are less expensive
- Today impact printers are not commonly used
Example of Impact Printer
Dot Matrix, Daisy Wheel Printer and Line printer are common example
Character Printers(Impact Printer)
Character printer is one of the most common type of impact printer. Produced one character at a time
Printers that produce hardcopy by printing one character at a time are called character printers
In the past, character printers were very popular .They were commonly used with personal computers to print the information on paper
- Today, they are rarely used
- Dot Matrix Printer
- It makes a hardcopy by printing one character at a time
- Speed is measured by the number of characters it can print in one second
- Printing speed 🡪 from 300 to 1100 characters per second (cps) or more
Dot Matrix Printer
Dot matrix printer is also the type of Impact printer and prodded output by striking on paper
A dot matrix printer contains a print-head with a matrix of small pins arranged in rows and columns (in the form of a matrix) Print-heads are available with 9, 18, or 24 pins.
- Printout quality of these printers is not better
- They also produce more noise while printing output
Daisy Wheel Printer
Its work like a typewriter. It has a print wheel with a series of petals This wheel is known as the daisy wheel
Each petal of the daisy wheel contains a character at its end
A motor rotates the wheel When the desired character reaches the print position on the paper, a hammer strikes a petal against the ribbon
- Slower than the dot-matrix printer
- However, its print quality is better than the dot matrix printer
Line Printers(Impact Printer)
Very fast printer It prints a complete line of characters at a time.
- Printing speed is measured in lines per minute (lpm) which is up to 3000 lines per minute
- Line printers are normally used with mainframe and minicomputers